“[Webb’s] language is akin to painting, at which he actually tried his hand before turning to photography. Among painters, he is particularly fond of Giorgio de Chirico and Georges Braque: the former, for his surrealism, his dream-writing, and his metaphysical oeuvre; the latter, for his chromatic boldness and innovation.—from “Alex Webb: Of Light and Shadow” by Jonas Cuenin of L’oeil de la Photographie. Link to complete article here.
—LAST CHANCE: For our friends in Italy, Europe, India and elsewhere: Please consider helping to support the printing of the Italian version of My Dakota by Postcart, by purchasing a small signed print of “Blackbirds” below or “State Map.” Deadline: October 30, 2016. Follow this link to buy either below print, which comes with a copy of the Italian version of My Dakota, which is in both English and Italian.
OTHER EVENTS, WORKSHOPS, UPDATES
MSPF Tuition-Free Workshop Scholarship
One tuition-free scholarship to attend the upcoming Finding Your Vision @ Miami Street Photography Festival 5-day workshop with Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb, November 28-December 2, 2016 at the HistoryMiami Museum.
This scholarship is open to all photographers who currently live in Florida. Work by all kinds of photographers will be considered—from amateurs to professionals, from art photographers to documentary photographers, from photography students to seasoned photographers—the only stipulation being that none of the images submitted have been dramatically altered digitally.
Please note: Scholarship winners will be responsible for all travel, housing, and food.
—Scholarship Application Opens: Monday October 10, 2016
—Deadline: Thursday, November 3, 2016, midnight EDT (NY City time)
—Notification of winner: Monday, November 7, 2016
JUDGES: Photographers Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb; Photographer James Estrin, editor of the New York Times Lens Blog
TO APPLY: Please submit the following materials to the email address — email@example.com — and write MSPF WORKSHOP SCHOLARSHIP on the subject line.
- In the email, please include the following in one word doc:
- Name and email
- 100 word statement about your work (if you work in a series, please include a short description of your series, project, or book)
- 100 word bio, which includes your photographic background and website or online link to your photographs
- Two names and emails of references of people familiar with your photographic work, such as professors, workshop teachers, fellow photographers, editors, curators, publishers.
- Additionally, in this email please also attach 10 small jpgs (ideally from one project or series), 72 dpi, and 1080 pixels on the longest side.
—THERE ARE ONLY THREE PLACES LEFT IN THE FINDING YOUR VISION WORKSHOP AT THE MIAMI STREET PHOTOGRAPHY FESTIVAL, November 29-December 2, 2016, Miami, Florida. You can enroll online here.
LINKS TO OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT LA CALLE