Throughout Mexico, life spills onto the streets, as sidewalks and avenues become a place to gather, learn or entertain. Alex Webb was first drawn to the richness and complexity that plays out in the country’s “calles,” or streets, over three decades ago.
“I was startled and fascinated by this country, so close to the United States and yet so far culturally,” Webb, who grew up in New England, told NBC News. “I was intrigued by the vibrancy — the sense of energy — of life on the street in Mexico.”—NBC News article, “Street Photographer Captures Mexico’s Complexity Over 30 Years” by Natalia Jimenez. Read the rest of the article by clinking on this link.
NEW WORKSHOP SCHOLARSHIP: FINDING YOUR VISION: MIAMI
One tuition-free scholarship to attend the upcoming Finding Your Vision @ Miami Street Photography Festival 5-day workshop with Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb, November 28-December 2, 2016 at the HistoryMiami Museum.
This scholarship is open to all photographers who currently live in Florida. Work by all kinds of photographers will be considered—from amateurs to professionals, from art photographers to documentary photographers, from photography students to seasoned photographers—the only stipulation being that none of the images submitted have been dramatically altered digitally.
Please note: Scholarship winners will be responsible for all travel, housing, and food.
—Scholarship Application Opens: Monday October 10, 2016
—Deadline: Thursday, November 3, 2016, midnight EDT (NY City time)
—Notification of winner: Monday, November 7, 2016
JUDGES: Photographers Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb; Photographer James Estrin, editor of the New York Times Lens Blog
TO APPLY: Please submit the following materials to the email address — email@example.com — and write MSPF WORKSHOP SCHOLARSHIP on the subject line.
- In the email, please include the following in one word doc:
- Name and email
- 100 word statement about your work (if you work in a series, please include a short description of your series, project, or book)
- 100 word bio, which includes your photographic background and website or online link to your photographs
- Two names and emails of references of people familiar with your photographic work, such as professors, workshop teachers, fellow photographers, editors, curators, publishers.
- Additionally, in this email please also attach 10 small jpgs (ideally from one project or series), 72 dpi, and 1080 pixels on the longest side.
—THERE ARE STILL A FEW PLACES LEFT IN THE FINDING YOUR VISION WORKSHOP AT THE MIAMI STREET PHOTOGRAPHY FESTIVAL, November 29-December 2, 2016, Miami, Florida. You can enroll online here: